Sunday, May 17, 2009

Gifts

A lesson at church today has stuck with me. It was about gifts.

Think of one of the best gifts you have been given. Why do we remember some gifts and not others? Because usually they are personal and you feel the love of the giver. Well our spiritual gifts are given as a sign of God's love for us. There are many gifts given to us and we spend a lot of time on earth trying to figure out what we've received. Although the lesson took us down a different path, my mind has been wandering to some of the spiritual gifts I've been given.


Remember the old adage, "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade"? I'd like to think that's one of my gifts. It may take time, but typically I can find a way to see the positive in almost everything. I find this gift in many around me as well. How I admire my dear friend who is being re-assigned to a new school and is facing it with grace and a smile. Everyday I marvel when she walks in with a smile on her face!! Others in the same situation are negative and morose, but this sweet friend has shed her tear and now is ready to meet new people and accept a new adventure! Her lemonade is delicious!!


What do you see?? Some see a flat tire. Others see an opportunity. Our son, Q, saw a chance to do something new today, meet new people, and have a new experience. He doesn't always see the "lemonade" in the situation, but he is learning to. I love that!


Guess what??? I've been summoned to Jury Duty ---- again!! I received my summons 25 months after I completed a 4 month stint as a juror in a murder case. I was freed from Jury service for 24 months - talk about timing!! I am one lucky girl!! Is there "lemonade" here?? I could certainly plead my case with the judge and tell them my saga ...they really would listen! But you know, I really learned something from the last opportunity. I learned a LOT! I wondered what it was for about a year and a half and in December I finally figured out one of the things I was supposed to learn. So here comes the "lemonade"....I know that I can learn something from this opportunity as well. And on an even better note - the summons doesn't require my service until mid-June!! Perfect timing for teachers!!

So what's the positive in the nasty cough I have??? Well, ya got me! It may take me awhile longer to figure some things out. I could celebrate the whole "I have a body" thing, or the fact that I have a great "husky radio voice", but I'm sure it will come to me. Cough...cough...hack...hack! At least it's not swine flu!!

2 comments:

J+K said...

Haha at least you HOPE it's not the swine flu;]. Positivity about the husky cough?? Hmmm at least you're not sunburnt!:]

marry said...

That is why so many people love you Gaye! Thanks for sharing your gift