Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday salon - Week 5


Outside my window: another warm June morning. It should top out at 106 degrees today, but who's watching the temperature?? The mornings are cool, the garden is in full production, the grass is green, and the porch swing is calling.

I am listening to: the white noise of the ceiling fan. I love white noise. As a matter of fact, I find it hard to sleep without it.

I am watching: This week we are planning a Covert Affairs marathon. We're getting ready for the new season to start this week. How summer-nerdy are we?!?!

I am thinking: summer projects: finishing the office, the bathroom, changing up the living room and mixing up the family room. Ahh, this is the time of year when the brain can really percolate. I just wish my energy level matched my brain level!

I am grateful for: healing powers - - a friend's son is healing (thank you wise doctors and nurses and heaven above,) the healing power of a smoothie (thank you J,) the healing power of words (thank you Isabel Allende and Marjorie Rawlings,) the healing power of a letter/email (thank you sister-dear,) the healing power of a pet (thanks Delta-dog,) the healing power of a little one's kiss (thank you Jase-boy,) the healing power of a phone call (thanks to all of you - J, Benny-boy, and Drew-boy.) This week was full of healing powers.

I am reading: A Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende (still - I am taking it slow and leisurely - it's delicious so far) and The Yearling by Marjorie Rawlings for Book Group this week. It is a transportation machine back in time to rural-backwoods Florida. The language is thick and dense.

I am photographing: a week of Concept Maps - 20+ hours of classwork for teachers...ahh our aching backs!! But the pictures will at least help me remember!!

I am listing: Projects and ideas!! (Refer back to "What I'm thinking..." it should fit together at some point in time!~!!)

I am creating: Wall art for the new office. All supplies have been gathered. Let the creating begin.....

On my Pandora: Hilary Weeks. This has been my traveling station this week as I needed to create a peaceful place for my mind. It really filled the bill and I arrived at each destination ready and focused.

I am hoping and praying: for a friend's son who is ever so sick. Machines control his breathing, wires monitor every function of his body. Why do I dread hospitals so in June??? It has become a trend over the last 6 years. I do not like it, but I am grateful for them. I am also hoping for an answer for myself. Ring, phone, ring.

Around the house : we are still finishing up the office. Rich has done the yeoman's job and I come along to clean up, vacuum and annoy. I am very good at it. The computers should all get moved in tomorrow and I can finally have my bedroom back. Yippee!!

From the kitchen: Chicken enchiladas, taco salad, burritos, quesadillas. I am thinking mexican, ya think!?!

One of my favorite things: spending time with my family. This week while Rich was at Scout camp the kids went out to dinner with me, shopped with me, talked with me daily, and we planned projects. I loved it. (J and I even snuck in a trip to Bookman's and Demolition Angel by Robert Crais and The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz followed me home. Now my library "personal- recommends list" is complete. My summer reading project is to finish all the books they recommended to me.)

The children this week:will be busy on their own. Airman and his wife are in their new little house in Mississippi, Son number 2 and his family have two new puppies, Number 1 and his family are the perfect people to throw a life-line to. They are busy but never too busy to help someone else. I love that. J&K are busy planning and J has a decorating book that is the envy of every design student. Her little brain is percolating. Q is breathing after a busy semester and Little Jase will be staying with us for the whole week. He says it is his vacation!

Plans for the week: Paint, move furniture, shuffle, shake....

On this date: it was a girl-trip to Salt Lake City!! It was great!! We visited all the good haunts, found a delectable bakery and wandered almost to our heart's content. Can we do it again (minus the long car-ride?? OK, the car-ride was totally cool with you guys.)

(Remember? YUMMMM... and totally calorie free if eaten in a park by a stream in the middle of downtown!)

4 comments:

Suey said...

106? Ugh! This is why I couldn't live in Arizona! :)

I love white noise too.

Sorry to hear about the sick boy... I hope he gets better soon!

Love Isabel Allende and I have several unread books of hers just waiting waiting waiting for me.

Happy Sunday!

Jenn said...

Yes, please. I have no vacation plans this summer. A few days of girl shopping in a far-away town would be most welcome!!!

Alyce said...

You're making the cloudy weather here seems appealing. I love white noise too, but just thinking about it makes me want to take a nap!

Bookfool said...

I guess cool mornings are the difference in the desert. The humidity level goes up so high at night, here, that even evening and morning and particularly comfortable.

You are quite the busy beaver!

Ditto Suey's comment about the sick boy and I too need white noise to sleep.

I just read about a lightning strike sending 77 airmen in Mississippi to the hospital. Hope your son wasn't one of them!