Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mini Book Reviews

Flyte by Angie Sage, Book 2 in the Septimus Heap series.
Audio Book

Septimus Heap is apprentice to the Extra Ordinary Wizard now. He has spent the last year becoming acquainted with his family and feeling a part of the new community at the Wizard's castle. He enjoys learning,conjuring and charms. He's growing into a fine wizard. One day his adopted sister - Jenna - is kidnapped by their older brother,Simon, who desires to serve his dark master, DomDaniel and  to be the Extra Ordinary Wizard's apprentice.  Now Septimus must begin a quest to save his sister and stop the approach of the dark Magyk. 

This is another great book on audio. The narrator is fantastic. What a fun book this was to have in the car whenever I ran errands this summer. I must admit that many a time I just sat in the garage and listened once my errands were done. I have truly enjoyed this series so far, and even though it has strong parallels to Harry Potter that is just fine by me. 


The Case of the Missing Servant
by Tarquin Hall

Vish Puri, a Punjabi private investigator, is “India’s Most Private Investigator”, and as the most accomplished investigator in India he runs a detective agency known as Most Private Investigators, Ltd. in New Dehli.

The Case of the Missing Servant shows Puri (“Chubby” to his friends) and his cleverly nicknamed employees ( Handbrake, Flush, Tubelight and Handcream) hired for two investigations.

The first in a series, The Case of the Missing Servant offers a delicious combination of stories, apt writing, old fashioned PI skills, and a vivid picture of current-day India. I loved the affectionate humor that Puri has for his family, his Mummy and his employees. I loved the foods and the culture. Team this book with The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and I feel like I've been to India.


The Dollhouse Murders
by Betty Ren Wright
Audio Book


Middle Grade read. So-so. Can you spell , meh? I don't think many of my students would be intrigued, but just in case, I listened to the very end.

No comments: