Sunday, February 21, 2010

Weekends are Wonderful


The last two weekends have been so much fun. Dinosaurs and cars with a little Dan Brown mixed in on the side as my grandson and I made french toast for breakfast ... it was a Valentine adventure.

This weekend I am Delta-watching as Jennie and Kyle celebrate their first year anniversary in San Diego!!! We've gone exploring the neighborhood, chased our cats and cuddled during rainstorms. She's a great reading buddy!!

I finally finished Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. That was no easy task when you have to drive cars with your grandson and protect the world from dinosaurs that like to go "shopping." No really, I just had trouble becoming invested in the book. It must have taken me almost 100 pages before I really cared about what was happening. I kept reading as everybody told me to keep with it. Good ol' husband had read it non-stop and was quite frankly amazed that I was not racing through it - but dinosaurs and cars were more important!! I love having my grandson around. We visit the library, sing songs, sort laundry and play in the backyard. That's when I can read because my eyes are very sneaky...he thinks I'm watching!!! But finally finish, I did!!

The 12 hour timespan of The Lost Symbol reminded me of the TV show 24. I don't know that it really hit me until I was finished, but that was one action packed day! (I think I'll stick with saving the world from "shopping" dinosaurs!!) Set in Washington DC, Robert Langdon, has to find his friend who has been kidnapped by a zealot named Mal'akh all while being pursued by the CIA. I loved the location of the book as we had visited Washington DC three summers ago. I just wish I could return and see all the 'out of the way' locations and uncover the symbolism for myself. When I finally finished the story, Rich had the perfect show to watch on the DVR - Hunting the Lost Symbol from the Discovery channel.

Currently reading -

Devil's Cub by Georgette Heyer - insipid Regency romance that I can hardly understand or have the patience for. It's a book group read and I've made a commitment to read them all this year or else I would have thrown it aside from page 5!! Oh well, I can hope it gets better, I'll have a lot of negative things to say, or maybe, just maybe, book group night will get here before I'm done and then I can just count it as a DNF!

The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer - now this is one I really want to finish. Falling into it is easy. It's a companion book to Life as We Knew It and I loved that one!!

It's been a wonderful rainy weekend. Calm, peaceful and relaxing. I can't believe that one year ago we were doing this.....


It's gone so fast....

1 comment:

Jenners said...

How lovely for you to have quality time with your grandson! I'm sure his parents needed the time away. (But perhaps I'm just projecting my own needs here.)

I didn't read The Lost Symbol and I'm not sure I will. I did kind of get into The DaVinci code but that was more the idea of the story rather than the writing or anything. Sounds like it took you a while to get into!