Tuesday, January 5, 2010

June Bug


A book cover and title peeked my interest one afternoon while cruising through the blogosphere (thanks lifeinthethumb.blogspot.com .) It was Teaser Tuesday and the book title just stuck with me. I was surprised to notice it on the "New" shelf at the library later that week and the book just about walked home with me!! (How come books keep doing that? Don't they know they have cousins at my home towering in piles towards the ceiling?!?)

Anyway, here's what captured my attention on the back cover:

I believed everything my daddy told me until I walked into Walmart and saw my picture on a poster. . . .”

A great pull, don't ya think?? And it's within the first 3 paragraphs of the book!!

The rest of the back cover:

"For as long as she can remember, June Bug and her father have traveled the back roads of the country in their beat-up RV, spending many nights parked at Walmart. One day, as she walks past the greeter at the front of the store, her eyes are drawn to the pictures of missing children, where she is shocked to see herself.

This discovery begins a quest for the truth about her father, the mother he rarely speaks of, and ultimately herself. But when her father’s past catches up with them, forces beyond his control draw them back to Dogwood, West Virginia, down a winding path that will change their lives forever."

June Bug by Chris Fabry was altogether readable from page one. I liked that kid, I liked her dad, I lost myself in the pages and the story and liked how that felt! A story about love and redemption ....hmmm, it was fun to start the year off with a book I kept wanting to read.

5 comments:

Susan said...

What an intriguing premise. I'm going to have to pick this one up, even though I've got plenty of "cousins" of my own to read!

Jenners said...

That is a great teaser!! It made me want to know more!!

Framed said...

Wow I want to read this book also. The cover is beautiful and so is that first line. BTW, thanks for visiting my blog. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Kim said...

I was lurking on Suey's blog and saw your comment on her delurking post. I followed you from there and I'm glad I did. You have a great blog here and I am excited to follow you in the future.

This book sounds great. I'll have to watch out for it.

alisonwonderland said...

I hadn't heard of this book, but I'm going to have to check it out!