Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Learning Curve

My learning curve is definitely getting steeper!! I am NOT technologically savvy, but I can typically catch on to at least a part of something!! Until the iPod came into my life. I have had 3 of my 5 kiddos stop by and give me lessons, or iPod 101, as I call it! But I still cannot get my iPod to rewind a little to catch something I missed. Argh! I think I have listened to the beginning of a podcast (that is a real new thing for me! Be impressed!) 30 times now as I try to figure this out. When I conquer it, and I will, you can bet I won't forget it. I am learning in baby steps and my kiddos have been ever so patient with me. One of them spent two hours tutoring and guiding me. These kiddos are great!! When they gave me the iPod for Christmas I'm sure they never thought that they would have to give me lessons too!

In school my little ones are also discovering the learning curve. Some are flying along and have become real readers. You can hear it in their voices. Many have also had their "aha" moment in math and now they just "get it!" It's so exciting to witness. Usually this really happens in March (I call it the Magic of March) but I am so privileged to see it early this year. On the other hand there are a few little ones that are still struggling. At conferences this week the learning curve has been a topic of a few discussions. After my iPod experience I can really feel the pain of a struggling student. I just want someone to do it for me!!! Much like they must want to say! "Let's just get to recess and leave all this hard stuff behind!" It has helped me put myself in the students shoes and I hope that I was able to communicate this to parents.

Listening to a podcast this week resulted in my books to read list growing exponentially longer!! I got a boat-load of great recommendations and leads to other books to dip into. I feel like I have hit a gold mine. As far as actually reading I have been finishing up the last essay in At Large and At Small by Anne Fadiman. The book has been great fun for me. The essays are just the right length, they make me think, ponder, laugh, nod my head, and learn. I truly enjoy her writing style. Unfortunately the rest of the time I seem to be spending time studying for an ELL class and working on upcoming projects.

Last year at this time I was in jury selection process and beginning what would be a 3 month adventure in our Judicial System. It was one of the harder things I have done in my life. I am glad that it's over and that I have just the wonderful, routine and uneventful life ahead. Learning curve and all, I am pretty lucky!

No comments: