Tuesday, January 2, 2007

A New Beginning

After lurking around blogs for the last few months I have finally decided to take the plunge and jump in myself. I don't know why this feels so scary. Perhaps it's the fact that officially putting thoughts down seems so permanent or perhaps it is that, in true reality, I am a techno-dork. Nonetheless I am starting off 2007 with a ...blog!

In 2006 I discovered renewed interests in needlework and found so much pleasure in reading. Now in my second year of teaching a new grade level I feel a little more in control and can balance my work and personal life better. I must admit that I can get a lot more done now that I am not working fulltime and going to school fulltime as well. I look back over 2006 and realize that I had a lot of fun getting my life "back!"

DS, Ben, and I discussed some of our favorite books of the last year and he told me that I had really recorded the "stats" of my reading. Here I always thought of stats as more sports related, but oh, what the heck!
  • I finished 37 books this year - not counting those that I allowed myself to "let go of" if we weren't clicking.
  • Mysteries -12
  • General fiction - 17
  • Non-fiction - 4
  • Book Group reads - 4
  • Male authors - 13
  • Female authors - 24
My goals for the new year would be to challenge myself a bit. My first challenge is to start this blog (can I check this one off now?!?) I challenge myself to read at least 4 classic books (over 50 years old!! Now that I am hitting that ripe old age myself maybe I should re-think that definition!!) I also challenge myself to read 6 of the Book Groups selections, to read at least 10 non-fiction selections that are NOT work related and finally to record faithfully the books read both in my book journal as well as on this blog. Now, with those challenges out of the way I can sit and stare at the shelves and their titles that beckon me ----

If you want to join me at any point in time I would love it. Ben loaned me The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and I have it on my nightstand waiting. Any insight or new recommendations are always welcome too. I love personal recommendations!









No comments: